Nowadays, plastic is most commonly thing used by each & everyone. Living without plastic is nearly impossible, we depend on it for various needs. The universal truth about plastic is that it harms the earth , nature and all the living creatures. The easiest solution is to replace plastic with any other eco friendly things. But to be practical, it is impossible to restrict each and everyone from using plastic product. So, instead of that, we can use some scientific methods to convert the plastic waste into making money/wealth.
Plastic plays an important role in our day to day life as a bag to carry to things, as a bottle to fill the water, as a rapper to cover many things and so on. But there are more cons than the pros. Even though we know the harmful effects of plastic, it cannot be detached from a person’s life.
People use plastic products and throw them wherever they want causing earth pollution, water pollution and also harming the stray animals who has non sense about what they shouldn’t eat. Plastic contains many toxic chemicals in it. It cannot even be decayed for centuries which reduces the fertility of the soil.
Thus, we need to change our habits and protect our health, environment and stray animals by providing reasonable measures and information about waste management to the public.
Here are few methods to convert plastic into wealth.
* 5 R’s strategy:
1. Refuse : We can refuse atleast some plastic products where the alternative products are available. eg: We can refuse the plastic bag and move towards cloth bag
2. Reduce : We need to reduce the usage of plastics and replace it by any other means. eg: Instead of using plastic bottles, we can use flasks.
3. Reuse : There are some plastic products which could be reused and we must follow the same. eg: We can reuse the pens by purchasing only the refills which also saves the money.
4. Repurpose : There are also some plastic products which could be repurposed. eg: We can use the washed sweet boxes to keep some things which is ECONOMICAL.
5. Recycle : Plastic things which neither can be reused nor repurposed could be recycled and make those things eco friendly and economical.
* All the rural and urban households and the public places should strictly follow the method of using two seperate bins. One for the plastic products and the other for the non plastic ones which helps to prevent the pollution and ecological degradation. Through this method, the rural unemployed youth can be employed which promotes their economic and social development. Government can employ these people and rag pickers in this project of ensuring the effective delivery of waste from households and other public places by paying them waeekly or monthly.
*Plastic recycling : A process of recovering scrap or waste plastic and reprocessing the material into useful product. We can also start an industry with least investment and make it as a successful business. Also it can provide job opportunities to many.
* Construction purpose : Waste plastic is shredded, coated over aggregate, mixed with hot bitumen and resulted mix is used for pavement construction. It strengthens the pavement and increases its durability. Plastic roads are most economical and the advanced method of disposing the plastic waste. Government has lesser expences compared to damber. It can even reduce the road taxes.
*Smoke absorbant : Plastic contains titanium dioxide which can be used as smoke absorbant material. It absorbs the smoke fron vehicles. An innovative technology to reduce air pollution and for the waste management.
People want to create a clean and healthy environment even though they are unaware of the measures to do it. Each and everyone should be educated about waste management. Unemployed must be aware of the harmful effects of plastic and can try many start ups of plastic recycling or could be employed at these projects. Thus, plastic is not only a waste but can be an useful product only through effective waste management.