Plastic has a dual effect on environment . It has both “source and sink” functions: which are its capability to provide natural resources (source function), example- storage, carry bags etc, as well as its ability to absorb unwanted by-products (sink function). The environment is not able to provide “sink” for the plastics instead plastic provide sinks for other wastes that are discarded every day into the sea which disturbs the aquatic cycle and ultimately the environment, and this is the major problem humanity is facing irrespective of its usefulness.
Plastics are produced from the oil that is considered as non-renewable resource. Thus creating wastes from non-renewable sources is not worthwhile.
The plastic waste is not a major problem as today “waste can be produced wherever humans footprints exists (even in space also)” , but the main problem is the waste management and creating a recyclable and reusable method to reproduce and prevent exploitation of the nature.
As we cant completely avoid plastics, so we have to develops some tactics to recycle it for the reproduction as it will costs significantly lower the costs as compared to building it from scratch using the raw materials.
The used plastics material can be broken down into small balls and after cleaning it can be used for various other purposes(This work is already going in various factories in U.K.)
Here are some ways (mentioned below) in which we can take plastic wastes toward world-wide sustainable development –
* Good construction ability: The walls built by recycled PET bottles are lighter than the walls built by brick and block.
* The structure has the added advantage of being fire proof, bullet proof and earthquake resistant, with the interior maintaining a constant temperature of 18 degrees C which is good for tropical climate. It maintain the opposite climate as outside which is very useful.
* Plastic bottles wall have been less costly as compare to bricks and also they provide greater strength and life than bricks( the bottles filled with soil or sand acts as bricks and form a framework for walls or pillars).
* Reducing the CO2 emission in manufacturing the cement by reducing the percentage of cement used.
* Plastic bottles wall have been less costly as compare to bricks and also they provide greater strength than bricks.
* Absorbs abrupt shock loads also.
2. Plastics wastes can also be used to increase the age and strength of highways.
-It can be used for making of different substances from used substances:
3. Milk Jugs & Other Plastic Containers can be recycled and converted into plastic lumber, picnic tables, lawn furniture, playground equipment, recycling bins etc.
4. Plastic Bags and Wraps:
When they are recycled plastic bags and wraps can made into plastic lumber that is used to make park benches, backyard decks and fences.
When plastic bottles are recycled they can be made into lots of things: t-shirts, sweaters, fleece jackets, insulation for jackets and sleeping bags, carpeting and more bottles.
-It takes about 10 bottles to make enough plastic fiber to make a cool new t-shirt.
-63 bottles to make a sweater.
– 14 bottles to create enough insulation (fiberfill) for a ski jacket.
-114 bottles to make enough insulation (fiberfill) for a sleeping bags.
5. Foam Packaging:
– it consists of 95% air. It can cushions our TV sets and protects our video game console as they move from the factory to the store to our home.
In this way we can transform it from waste to wealth.
Approx 29.3 percent of plastic bottles are recycled in the U.S. If everyone pitches in, we have even more potential. Responsibility, traceability, and transparency are key to ensuring waste is respected and can be utilised as a potential future resource wherever possible.
However, on a larger scale, recycling sorting facilities must also adhere to strict guidelines. There should also be greater visibility over where every single bit of plastic goes after being put into mixed recycling.
Also the use of cellulose plastics in malls should be encouraged in place of ordinary plastic as it takes only 14 weeks (approx) to decompose it while it takes more than 50 years for ordinary plastics. Along with the government and private sectors we the 1.3 billion peoples of India will have to take pledge for recycling and reproducing. And recycling is only possible if we dispose these wastes at suitable places so that it could be collected easily by the respective authorities.
We have to consider its environmental, social and economical value. It is a boon to humanity and we should understand this and should innovate more such uses as I mentioned above.
In this way we can handle plastic wastes very efficiently and should understand that a single organisation can not do that if we don’t take active part in it. Our nation is based on integrity and we should come up together to follow the guidelines provided in future.
“Thank You for reading”