PLASTIC: FROM WASTE TO WEALTH:-
plastic are very essential in today’s society due to an increase in population. The generation of waste is getting doubled day by day. The increase in plastic uses is affecting the lives of people in india as well as other countries and due to excess uses of plastic people are prone to various diseases hence putting there live in danger in order to maintain a healthy life and proper hygiene.
The plastic with its exclusive qualities is now a serious world wide environment and health concern essentially due to its non -biodegradable nature more than 50% of the plastic waste generated in country recycled and used in manufacture of various plastic products.
Plastic are so versatile in use and their impact on environment is extremely wide ranging careless disposal of plastic bags chokes drains blocks the porosity of the soil and causes problem for ground water charges. Plastic disturb the soil microbial activities. Plastic bags can also contaminate food stuff due to leaching of toxic dyes . Designing Eco-friendly, Biodegradable plastic have been developed.
Characterization studies indicate that MSW contain large organic fraction (30-40%) ash and fine earth paper (3-6%) along with plastic to a glass and metal (each less than 1%) calorific value if refuse ranges between 800-1000 Kcal/kg and c/n ratio ranges between 20-30% . The collection bin and implement used in various cities are not properly designed it has been observed that community bins have not been installed at proper location this has resulted In poor collection efficiency lack of public awareness made the situation worse..
To various source of generation of plastic wastes includes:House hold such as (carry bags, pet bottles, containers, trash bags) Health and medical (disposal syringe, glucose bottles etc. In keeping with the present practices and estimate generation around 90% of the generated waste are land filled requiring around 1200 hectare of land with and average depth of 3km..
Above all the most important method is recycling of waste . This method doesn’t need any resources. Therefore this is much useful method.Recycling is the reusing of things are scrapped of moreover recycling is further converting waste into use full resources. .
2, Land fills:
It is the most common method. The garbage gets buried in large pits in the ground and then covered by the layer of mud. As a result the garbage gets decomposed inside the pits over the years. In conclusion in this method elimination of the odor area taken by the waste takes place.
Composting is the method of converting of organic waste into fertilizers this method increases the fertility of the soil. As a result it is helpful in more growth in plants further more it is the use full conversion of waste that can benefit environment.
Plastic in municipal solid:
- Toxic in nature.
- Stagnation of waste water due to waste plastic causing hygiene problems.
- Misuse and it’s dumping into dustbins and drains.
Plastic in packaging:
- Non toxic in nature.
- Water proof in characters.
- Transparency as well as opacity.
Benifits of carry bags/ plastic bags:
- Add convince in day to day life
- Essential for packing of breads, vegetables, fruits, items etc
- Easy to carry.
- Very cheap in cost.
Use of plastic waste as resource:
1, carbon Recycling:
Fuel from plastic waste IMT waste yielding 900 litres of diesel conform to highest quality EN 590 diesel.
Use of plastic waste for better roads.
3, Energy recovery:
Co-processing in cement kilin:partial substitutions of fossil fuels process has been certified by approved pollution control authority in India it’s benefit is all type of plastic waste without segregation.
comparision of plastic:-
1,Plastic vs Textile bags:
- Plastic manufacturing consumes 400 km/mt while composite textile mills consume 1310 km/wt
- Textile contributes 30% sox (second highest by sector) and 23% Nox (highest by any sector).
2,Plastic vs paper bags
- Plastic carry bags generate 60-79% less green house gasses than paper bags
- Plastic grocery bags consume 40% less energy during production and generate 80% less solid waste after use than paper bags
- Paper sacks generate 70% more in air pollution and 50 time more water pollutants than plastic bags do…
- Usage of plastic is an important issue that needs government action quickly
- At present there is very little awareness exist regarding this issue in our society.
- The practices of bringing forth waste are too risky not only for today they could be dangerous for our future generations
- It is very important to educated person to tell them to adopt practice for recycle, reduce and recover rather than generating waste and misusing of plastic.
“Recycle each and every day instead of throwing paper and plastic away”