《☆》. MEANING OF WASTE MANAGEMENT :- Waste management means manage waste materials like plastic. It includes the activities and actions required to manage waste from its inception to its final disposal. This includes collection, transport, treatment and disposal of waste.
‘Waste or resource? Stimulating a bioeconomy’, calls on the public to change the way in which we view waste and see it an opportunity rather than a problem.
《☆》. WHY THEIRS’S A NEED OF WASTE MANAGEMENT :- Waste if often viewed as a menace. It not just spoils the aesthetics of living spaces, but becomes a source of pollution and poses a major hazard to health & life of all organisms. Efficient handling of waste is an important factor in developmental process of any nation and health of its people. Effective management of waste is now a national priority as seen through swatchh Bharat Abhiyan mission. Explosion of resources make biological imbalance, global warming & green house effect etc are increasing and posing a great threat to sustain a happy life.
《☆》. PLASTIC WASTE FREE INDIA :- In the last decade, plastic has affected the health and life of human beings very badly. Some incidents have attracted the attention of the whole world and put a question mark about the use of plastic in daily life . India has the second largest populous country of the world and abuse of plastic us one of the major reasons of the climate change. India generates 9.46 million tones of plastic waste annually of which 40% remains uncollected.
But we are concerned that the government is not seizing this opportunity, theirs huge amount of stake here, economically and no single department appears to be leading the way, NO ! its not only because of government, everybody has a individual role to minimise the use of plastic at their household level. Its very easy to say but more difficult to implement.
《☆》 . PLASTIC: FROM WASTE TO WEALTH :- Their are many ways in which this waste can be converted into wealth and also solves the problem of unemployment.
1. USE OF 3R, REUSE REDUCE RECYCLE
Reduce, Reuse and Recycle – these three ‘R’ words are an important part of sustainable living , as they help to cut down on the amount of waste we have to throw away.
● Reduce the amount of waste you produce
●Reuse items as much as you can before replacing them
●Recycle items wherever possible
This can be carried out at our domestic level and this helps to save our money
2.SUSTAINABLE WEALTH CREATION :-
• Waste is segregated at the primary source of generation by households.
• 3,000 households separate waste in up to four different coloured bins. Municipal collectors pick up waste six days a week and transport it to the municipal dumping ground. The waste collection centre, has lush green gardens developed using organic fertilizer. Here it is further segregated by 20 workers in to 23 categories.
• Wet waste is used to generate biogas, producing 30 units of electricity per tonne. This powers all the machines in the dumping ground.
• One of the machines powered by the biogas is a plastic shedding machine. It crushes up to 180 kg of light plastic everyday.
• Used with bitumen, shredded plastic is effective in helping build sturdier roads that are able to withstand more wear and tear. These roads offer greater resistance to inclement weather, and reduce costs. A one kilo metre stretch of road can use up to 1 tonne of plastic or 1 million carry bags, and save INR 10,000 per stretch.
• Vengurla has 12 km of ‘plastic’ roads and earns Rs.15 per kg of plastic sold to contractors for road building in nearby areas.
• A briquette machine helps process dry waste such as cloth, paper, cardboard into briquettes, which are sold to nearby industries as alternate fuels for boilers.
• Heavy plastic is sold to cement factories where it is melted at 3000 degrees Celsius.
• Each month, the municipality earns Rs. 150,000 which is used to improve solid waste management systems in the village.
• The facility has drawn 7000 visitors so far.
3. MAKE MONEY( EMPLOYMENT ) FROM MONEY FROM UNEMPLOYED POOR PROPLE:
In the urban and rural area most of people, specially poor youth are not getting employment, so interested people and youth can get job or employment through this program and in this process without invest that much financial things to make money to produce organic fertilizer as well as clean and green environment. Employee will collect the garbage from household for giving services weekly and they.
Rural and urban collection center (program implementation center):
For producing the organic fertilizer and separation of recyclable components units to be necessary and whatever material will collect from urban after that it will go to centers for processing of compost and package of plastic to send recycle industries. Centers are main point to decide the all activities of fixed location, from where employee will get their information and delivery of material from households to center.
4. MAKE BETTER LIFE OF RAG – PICKERS :
In this program only people are not involve even rag-pickers have good option to join this program. Rag-pickers collect different type of recyclable things. They have good environment to learn many things to improve their skill and knowledge and as well program will change their behavior because they are not aware about their health and suffering from various diseases. Program will provide some classes and protection material to collect garbage. They will get some trainings of “how to act before, during and after collect the garbage. Through this program they will get good physical and financial status as well as social also.
5. CHANGE THE BEHAVIOR OF PEOPLE( BCC) :-
Avoiding and reducing the generation of waste through the cost of reflective and increase or create the awareness. Program want to change the unnecessary habit of people which are the harmful for their health and environment and continuity of unnecessary habits affect to others and create problem of their selves. In this activity people will know and be aware about pollution. Generally Rag-pickers suffer big problems of health because of unawareness and they do not use protection elements during collect the garbage. Their habits are a hierarchical so through the program their parents and same community can get facilities. Through the behavior change program would like to increase reuse and recycling rates of products and reduce the percentage of recyclable material to landfill.
6 .SOIL REHABILITATE BY WASTE COMPOST ( ORGANIC ) :-
Rural area has good opportunity to rehabilitate the land and farmers also can get vermi-compost in cheap rate. It is possible to produce the organic fertilizers through the garbage which will come from urban waste and rural waste. This program has units near to rural area so it is easy to reach the rural and farmers.
It is necessary to ensure the protection of the environment through the effective waste management. In these days urbanization is happening very fast so which is cause of deforestation. So as well as organic farming and soil rehabilitation, urban and rural area will get plantation facilities which will help to make green and good environment. It may possible to get financial strength by fruit plant and plantation on the side of road will provide the shade to passer. In the rural area people could get fuel for food and could also earn from it.
CONCLUSION:- I as the student try to minimise the use of plastic n also bring awareness among our community people. Thank u for providing this platform to share our thoughts